Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert is a shopping arcade notable for its innovative architecture. It preceded other famous 19th-century European shopping arcades, like Milan’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. The Galerie has glazed shopfronts and two upper floors, all under an arched glass roof overlying a cast-iron framework.
The gallery consists of two major sections, each more than 100 meters in length. Construction started on May 6, 1846. and lasted for 18 months. The Galerie was inaugurated on June 20, 1847 by King Leopold.
It is a bright pleasant and cheery place in which to escape a brisk Brussels day and has excellent (and warm) coffee shops and some wonderful chocolate outlets.
(Click on thumbnails to enlarge, right arrow to advance slideshow)